After Your Surgery
You will receive a copy of instructions upon discharge from the Center. Additionally, you may also receive instructions from your surgeon, specific to the surgery you had .Those Instructions will be reviewed with you and your responsible adult companion, as you may experience difficulty remembering due to the type of anesthesia you may receive. For your safety, comfort and to optimize your recovery, please carefully follow all instructions. The following are general instructions to keep in mind:
- Even though you may feel fine, it is highly recommended that you rest for the remainder of the day following surgery and have someone stay with you through the next 24 hours. Resume normal activities as directed by your physician. Observe children closely after surgery. Bikes, skateboards, gym sets, etc. should be avoided for at least 24 hours.
- It is recommended that you do not drive, operate hazardous equipment, sign legal papers or consume alcohol for the next twenty-four hours.
- You may experience some level of dizziness, drowsiness, sore throat, or nausea depending on the type of anesthesia you receive.
- Follow your physician’s instructions regarding diet, activities, and medication.
- Your pain control is important to us. Please follow your physician’s instructions regarding your pain medication. Call your physician regarding pain that is not controlled by your medication.
- If you feel you are having any problems after discharge, please notify your physician. If you are having a medical emergency, call 911.
A member of our staff will contact you the next business day after surgery to check on your progress. We will request a contact number where you can be reached that day. If we are unable to contact you by telephone, we will send a follow up card.
You will receive a questionnaire to evaluate the services you receive at WSSC. We appreciate your comments regarding your care, which will help improve our services as we endeavor to be the surgery center of choice in Central PA. The staff, physicians, and administration of West Shore Surgery Center wish you a safe and speedy recovery. It is our pleasure to serve you and hope you choose us for any future surgical needs.